Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why another food blog?

Hello Friends,

This is Supriya Soora.

I had no prior experience in cooking. It all started after I got married 6 years ago and I moved to the US. My cooking experiments turned out pretty good most of the times. My first inspiration in cooking is of course my mom. She is the fabulous cook, which she inherited from her mom, my ammamma. My Ammamma was the ultimate cook. She used to create fabulous dishes even without using any fancy cooking gadgets.

Okay, coming to the blog, the most obvious question is why another food blog? I think every person cooks the same dish differently even with the same recipe. The reasons might be many, like the state of mind while cooking, level of understanding the recipe, accidents etc. etc. So I am here to share the same recipes you have seen in your life but with a twist of my own and with the tips I learned on experience. Being the cook of the house, I also feel an urgent need to break the notions of cooking as a risky sport. Cooking is only as complex as you wish to make it. You can make a simple bowl of package mix soup or a complex chicken biryani. You can whip up a simple tomato rasam in no time or make gaarelu from "scratch". I think, for a cook to make something from scratch is to throw together few basic ingredients to make an edible dish. And when I say basic, I mean basic. For example, you don't need to go through the trouble of making the biryani masala to make the chicken biryani. You can get the biryani masala from your local Indian grocers. Heck, you can just go have a hot plate of biryani at Paradise, Peacock or Bawarchi or wherever. Which brings us down to another question, which is a good one, "If I can get food pre-made in a restaurant, then why bother cooking at all?" Number one reason being the affordability on a daily basis and an even better reason is that no one can make food to your taste as well as you do. When you make your own food, you know how much salt and pepper went into it. You know the ingredients in it. You know how healthy it is.

To me, the best reason to cook is for the sheer joy of it. Cooking to me is like any other experiment I did in my chemistry lab. The end product is actually visible to your eye. And when the result is good, there's the satisfaction derived from a job well done.  My mom says to be able to cook; one needs passion to cook, well I say, one needs self-confidence. I am here to boost your self-confidence in cooking by bringing in simple and easy dishes to your table. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment